How To Take Care of Your Healthy Roots Doll: Zoe Care 101
Zoe’s hair is full of curl power. Her hair can be washed and styled like real hair, and that’s what makes her special. ❤️
Below are instructions to make the most out of your play experience with Zoe and styling her hair. These tips are not just for Zoe, but for your little one’s hair. Practicing on Zoe is a great way to teach your daughter how to take care of her natural hair.
Zoe’s hair is different from your average doll, but it is not indestructible which means it requires regular care and maintenance. To avoid matting, tangling and excessive shedding, follow the instructions below to show her curls some love.
Zoe Care 101: Do’s and Don’ts
DO wash your doll’s hair. Zoe’s hair is a unique fiber full of #curlpower specifically designed to be washed and styled like real hair. We highly encourage practicing with Zoe on washday.
DON’T wash your doll’s hair every day. Do not wash your doll’s hair more than once a week. Over manipulation will diminish the quality of her hair over time. When shampoo is applied daily, this can dry out the hair strands, leading to damage and breakage. Click here for more things you shouldn’t do to curly hair.
DO style your doll’s hair. We love seeing the creative hairstyles kids try with Zoe. From Bantu knots to box braids, the possibilities are endless.
DON’T style your doll’s hair while it is dry. Like natural hair, it is best to style while wet with a product to minimize tangles and breakage. Detangle Zoe’s hair regularly to maintain her curls.
DO air dry Zoe’s styles. Zoe is patient and loves to air dry all of her styles for the best looks..
DON’T apply any heat to Zoe’s hair. Zoe loves to embrace her hair naturally. She does not like blowouts or heat because she is scared of heat damage. Heat tools can make weak points in curly hair which could lead to breakage.
DO play with Zoe. Zoe is flexible. She can do splits, bend over backward, and sit. Your child can pose and style their Zoe doll in many ways.
DON’T force Zoe’s limbs to bend unnaturally. We have designed our dolls for play! But she is still a plastic doll, so please refrain from positioning the doll in a way that can damage her joints. Going to the hospital for a broken limb is never fun.
DO take Zoe on adventures. Zoe loves exploring the world. Take her with you to school, the park, and on vacation.
DON’T put Zoe in the bathtub. Zoe can not swim. Zoe is not intended for bathtub play, and it will be difficult to remove the water from the doll’s body. Do not submerge Zoe in baths, pools, or showers.
Styling Care Tips
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more hairstyling videos. Also, join the fun in the VIP Curlfriend Club, where we discuss hair and doll play, recent news, giveaways, early access to products, and more.
- Always wet Zoe’s hair before brushing. Similar to your own, add moisture to the hair to make it easy to detangle
- Be gentle when brushing Zoe’s hair
- It is easy to sit the doll between your legs when brushing to hold her steady, or you can ask someone to hold her while you brush
- To work out tangles, hold the scalp and upper parts of the hair with one hand and the brush in the other hand. Start at the bottom of the hair, and brush the ends of her hair. Work your way up one centimeter at a time (or less if very tangled)
- Be careful to work tangles out, rather than breaking and ripping them out
- Frizziness may be caused by leaving it in a tangled state or by rough treatment when brushing
- Be very careful that you do not get Zoe’s eyes wet. Make sure she is always face-up so the water does not run into her eyes
- You can wash Zoe’s hair with any product
- To dry the hair, use a towel to squeeze out the water. Do not blow-dry Zoe’s hair.
- Let it dry naturally. It may take overnight
- Practice the LCO method. Always use a leave-in product, cream, and oil to keep your dolls hair moisturized and manageable
- To style hair, use a brush or a comb. Zoe loves her Denman brush.
- Misting with water and using a styling cream product will assist in providing semi-permanent styling.
- We do not recommend using heat on your doll’s hair. This means no blow dryers, curling irons, hot curlers, hot combs, or any other heat device. The heat will damage the hair.
Sign up for our newsletter below for weekly hair tips, updates, and to learn more about Healthy Roots Dolls